Urban and Place-based Learning
- Wednesday 20 January 2021
- 12:00 - 13:30 GMT
- Online GET DIRECTIONS
UBDC's Dr Phil Mason and Professor Catherine Lido will be presenting at the first of five exciting events, organised by the School of Education at the University of Glasgow, that focus on Celebrating Social Justice Research in Education.
This webinar features leading-edge research that has investigated relationships between place and educational disadvantage, both in the Glasgow City Region and in cities in the Global South. It considers work of the following projects and investigators, each of whom will make 10-minute presentations:
- Centre for Sustainable, Healthy, Learning Cities and Neighbourhoods (Professor Michele Schweisfurth), a large-scale UKRI Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) project investigating the role of education and health in developing sustainable neighbourhoods in 14 global south cities.
- Strengthening Urban Engagement of Universities in Asia and Africa (Dr Muir Houston), a project within the British Academy’s GCRF Cities and Infrastructure programme considering the urban engagement role of universities in six global south cities
- Children’s Neighbourhoods Scotland (Dr Claire Bynner and Dr Alison Drever), a major initiative in Glasgow funded by the Scottish Government and other agencies bringing together people, resources and organisations in a local area to facilitate collaborative working that betters the lives of the children living there.
- Urban Big Data Centre (Dr Phil Mason and Professor Catherine Lido), a large-scale investment by the ESRC that promotes the use of big data and innovative research methods to improve social, economic and environmental well-being in cities.
There will follow a panel response, and all those who join the webinar will be able to pose questions to the speakers and panel.
Resgistration for this online event is available via Eventbrite and full details and instructions for joining will be circulated post-registration.